Yew Class Information
My name is Miss Turner and I continue to be your child’s teacher. We are supported by two teaching assistants, Miss Allan & Mr Digance. We’ve got a busy term ahead as we begin to work with our children to prepare them for SATs and life beyond primary school. Thank you in advance for your continued support.
Here is some information:
- Two pieces of homework (one piece of maths and one piece of English) will be uploaded onto Class Dojo on Wednesdays, along with weekly spellings, and should be completed online by Mondays. Homework is NOT returned to school.
- Spellings will continue to be sent home, focussing on the spelling rule taught that week. They will also be available to practise on Spelling Shed.
- Maths will carry on in the same style: a short piece of work to build on children’s current learning or a revision topic. We will also send home a short arthimetic task. This should be completed independently, with the aim of increasing children’s mental and written arithmetic. The answers will be at the bottom of the document to allow your child to assess which areas they need more work in – please support them with this!
- Please encourage your children to read every day. We appreciate that some children are reluctant readers, but even a few minutes a day will be beneficial. There are also huge benefits to reading to your child – why not try to build this into your evening routines?
- Children can change their reading books as they finish them. Our class book corner has a range of genres accessible for all readers and we have regular trips to the library as well. Your child should read (and answer questions about their reading) each night. They can record this independently in their reading record. We check reading records on Mondays and expect to see at least five entries from the previous week.
- PE in school will take place on Thursdays and Fridays. Children should wear PE kit on this day.
- Each Friday we pick two school value leaf winners who are awarded these in an in-class assembly. Our school values are respect, creativity, independence, collaboration and confidence. We also select a super playground friend.
- Children score house points for fantastic learning and good choices (we find out which house has the most points on Fridays).
- In the mornings, we will have a guided reading, English and maths lesson. In the afternoons, we focus on whichever subject we are in the block of. You can see our Spring term timetable attached. Please be advised that this can be subject to change.
- The Year 5/6 Residential is fast approaching! We will have another meeting about this next term – for now remember to make small regular payments to help reduce your balance.
- SATs are also coming up, as you know. Below are some revision guides that we recommend. They are accessible for all learners and can be done in short, sharp bursts at home if necessary.